On Wed, Jan 03, 2024 at 01:12:24PM -0300, riveravaldez wrote:
> El martes, 2 de enero de 2024, to...@tuxteam.de<to...@tuxteam.de> escribió:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Debian 12, bookworm. I'm trying to get fluidsynth and pipewire
> > playing together.
>
> Hi, IIRC qsynth has an option to indicate which sound server to use at
> launching. I've used it with JACK and PulseAudio:
> $ qsynth -a jack
> $ qsynth -a pulseaudio
> , or something like that. Can't remember if the manpage mentions PipeWire
> (or if it's even implemented) but I guess could worth a try.
> Also, qsynth's UI has options to choose sources and sinks that are pretty
> friendly. That also could work.
> Hope something of this helps in someway.
> Kind regards and good luck!

First of all, thanks for your reply. I actually tried qsynth.

As I mentioned in my original post, it is only happy when wrapped
in pw-jack (which, AFAIU tells it to contact pipewire's Jack
emulation). But I couldn't get it to "see" any MIDI events from
the keyboard, alas.

The most frustrating part is that I have no clue whether I'm
doing anything wrong or whether it isn't supposed to work at all.

The installed fluidsynth version (2.3.1) is said to work with
pipewire, but "fluidsynth -a" doesn't list it as a backend.

There is a GUI to control pipewire's graph (qpwgraph [1]), which
I also tried. I can "see" there what is supposed to be the keyboard,
model number and all, I can "see" some fluidsynth input (both of
them several times, all of this is frustratingly confusing), I
can even connect the keyboard's "output" to fluidsynth's "input"
(if I am interpreting all those hieroglyphs correctly, that is),
but there is no fluidsynth's "output", and all combinations I
tried in despair didn't make a beep.

A similar hardware with a Debian Bullseye (pulseaudio) does work.
I had to tinker to have the fluidsynth thing start in the user
session instead of at system boot (there was a reason for this
which I don't remember currently), but it basically worked.

At the moment I'm on the brink of throwing out pipewire and
installing pulseaudio, and wait until things settle.

Why, oh, why do we have to have this sound daemon misery every
couple of releases?

Cheers