On 8/1/24 08:44, The Wanderer wrote:
On 2024-01-07 at 19:20, Nicholas Geovanis wrote:

On Sun, Jan 7, 2024, 4:51 PM Charles Curley <charlescur...@charlescurley.com>
wrote:

On Sun, 7 Jan 2024 20:36:12 +0000

"Andrew M.A. Cater" <amaca...@einval.com> wrote:

Gene - no partisan opinions, please, as per Code of Conduct?

Oh, come on! Just because Gene doesn't like certain ancient Digital
Equipment products…?

Come on.... There has to be a linux-based VAX simulator somewhere out there
for Gene :-D
So he can practice getting VAXed... :-D
....said the man who used to use LSI-11's :-D

$ apt-cache show simh
Package: simh
[...]
Description-en: Emulators for 33 different computers
  This is the SIMH set of emulators for 33 different computers:
[...]
  DEC VAX (but cannot include the microcode due to copyright)

No idea whether it'd be enough, but if anyone does actually want to
pursue the idea, it might be worth looking at.

If anyone really wants to run VAX/VMS, or, another version of VMS, then you should read the article at
https://www.theregister.com/2022/08/03/linux_may_soon_lose_support/
which has applicable links.

But, apart from the functionality that I have not seen in any other operating system, of using an extra file descriptor of version number, so the whole filename would be something like
(I am not sure whether that syntax is correct - I have not used VAX/VMS, for about 35-40 years) retaining (from memory) up to the last seven versions of a file, really, why bother?

In these times (and, even back then, when UNIX system V was the main UNIX system that was commercially used, and, even when BSD 4.2 was the main UNIX version), a decent systems level "C" programmer should be able to write a utility to do it.

When I was being taught VAX-FORTRAN (which, from memory, was enhanced FORTRAN-77, the last FORTRAN before FORTRAN-90, with FORTRAN-90 introducing pointers to FORTRAN) and "C", and I remarked that VAX-FORTRAN had 8-byte precision, that "C" did not, the "C" lecturer simply said that a "C" programmer could create the data type, and write the maths libraries, to deal with it.

So, running VAX/VMS, or a version of the VMS operating system, is a bit like running XENIX or MINIX, or, like a friend of that time, who had an operational PDP on his flat (apartment) balcony, that he had obtained an kept for playing with octal programming. It would, I expect6, be done for no other reason, than the sake of doing it.

But, all of that, and, the subject and thread of this message thread, are completely off-topic, for a Debian operating system mailing list, I think.

Bret Busby
Armadale
Western Australia
(UTC+0800)