Curt wrote:
> On 2024-01-10, David Christensen <dpchr...@holgerdanske.com> wrote:
> >

> > Given the OP's situation -- 8 consumer SSD's, same make and model,
> > possibly from a defective manufacturing batch, all purchased at the same
> > time, all deployed in the same RAID-6, all run 2.5 years 24x7, and all
> > suddenly showing lots of SMART warnings -- I would not have confidence
> > in that RAID.
>
> It's curious, but I just heard something on French TV from a journalist
> that's relevant to this. She said she'd covered the aeronautics field in
> the past and mentioned the *principe de dissemblance* (dissimilarity
> principle). Critical redundant parts on aircraft, she claimed, would be
> sourced from different manufacturers in order to obviate the possibility
> of redundant failures you've raised here.

I don't know whether that's true in aeronautics, but at the home
and small business scale, that's always something I've
practiced.

At the large scale, server assemblers don't want to mix parts
very often (you can get some of them to do it), so you usually
need your servers as a whole to be the unit of redundancy, not
disks in an array.

-dsr-