On 1/12/24 05:47, Arno Lehmann wrote:
Am 12.01.2024 um 14:31 schrieb gene heskett:
I'm using tbird as an email agent, but it just did something both strange and scary.

Its filters have been working very spotty, only when the phase of the moon was right. And it missed moving a msg from the nut list to the local nut sbbdir, so I went to the filter menu and had it add a new filter based on that msg.  Then told it to "run it now". Apparently a big mistake!!!!!!

tbird took about an hour, totally cleaned out the inbox at my mail server of 4080 some messages, w/o adding or moving to anything, absolutely zip to any local mail directory. No local msgs were played with, but I've lost several hundred often used addresses that were stashed in my inbox.

Does anybody have a clue what did that?

You will have to share the actual filter and actions you configured before anybopdy can develop any clue.

Also, adding the actual version of thunderbird will be useful.

And it may be relevant to have the account type, too -- pop3, imap, whatever server side, and how your local mail storage is organized.

Until this bug is resolved, I suggest:

1.  Shut down the computer.  If you have Ethernet, disconnect the cable.

2. Boot the computer. Login to your user account. If you have Wi-Fi or any other network interfaces, disable them so that your comptuer cannot connect to mail server.

3.  Back up the $HOME/.thunderbird folder.

4. Start Thunderbird. Go to Tools -> Message Filters and disable all filters. Close Thunderbird. Shut down your computer.

5. If you have Ethernet, connect the cable. Boot your computer. Login to your user account. If you have Wi-Fi or any other network interfaces, enable them.

6. Start Thunderbird. Verify that all message filters are disabled. Verify that you can send and receive mail.

Go to Thunderbird -> Edit -> Account Settings -> ghesk...@shentel.net -> Server Settings. What is the value of the field "Server Type"?

Please run the following commands and post your console session:

2024-01-12 11:49:46 root@taz ~
# cat /etc/debian_version ; uname -a
11.8
Linux taz 5.10.0-26-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.10.197-1 (2023-09-29) x86_64 GNU/Linux

2024-01-12 11:49:56 root@taz ~
# dpkg-query -W thunderbird
thunderbird     1:115.6.0-1~deb11u1

STFW for "thunderbird filter plain text dump", I found:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1147503

Searching for the Thunderbird message filter configuration files on my computer:

2024-01-12 12:31:57 dpchrist@taz ~
$ find .thunderbird/dpchrist -iname '*filter*'
.thunderbird/dpchrist/Mail/Local Folders/msgFilterRules.dat
.thunderbird/dpchrist/ImapMail/november.he-1.net/msgFilterRules.dat
.thunderbird/dpchrist/ImapMail/november.he.net/msgFilterRules.dat

My mail hosting provider is Hurricane Electric (he.het). My account is on the host november.he.net. Looking at the contexts of above files:

2024-01-12 12:34:03 dpchrist@taz ~
$ cat '.thunderbird/dpchrist/Mail/Local Folders/msgFilterRules.dat'
version="9"
logging="no"

2024-01-12 12:34:54 dpchrist@taz ~
$ cat .thunderbird/dpchrist/ImapMail/november.he-1.net/msgFilterRules.dat
version="9"
logging="no"

2024-01-12 12:38:30 dpchrist@taz ~
$ cat .thunderbird/dpchrist/ImapMail/november.he.net/msgFilterRules.dat
version="9"
logging="no"
name="nuke"
enabled="yes"
type="17"
action="Move to folder"
actionValue="imap://dpchrist%40holgerdanske....@november.he.net/nuke"
action="Stop execution"
condition="OR (from,contains,redacted-user@redacted-host) OR (from,contains,@redacted-host) OR ...)"
name="Inbox-copy"
enabled="yes"
type="17"
action="Copy to folder"
actionValue="imap://dpchrist%40holgerdanske....@november.he.net/Inbox-copy"
condition="ALL"

Please post the contents of your Thunderbird message filter configuration files. Redact if you must, but understand that we cannot debug what we cannot see.

David