Hi,

i, too, wondered where there should be a duplicate serial number.
But indeed:

David Wright wrote:
> > /dev/sdi    53  /dev/disk/by-id/ata-Gigastone_SSD_GST02TBG221146
> > /dev/sdj1   54  /dev/disk/by-id/ata-Gigastone_SSD_GST02TBG221146-part1
>   ↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑ that is /really/ bad!

Does the number of 4 device files /dev/sd[h-k] match the number of
installed ata-Gigastone_SSD devices ? Gene talked of
"5, ordered in 2 separate orders".
(Looking at https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2024/01/msg00667.html)
Now we see 3 to 4, depending on what one wants to believe.

Wild ideas:
One possible reason could be that a device is mapped to both, /dev/sdi
and /dev/sdj. udev would then suffer a race condition when creating the
/dev/disk/by-id.
Another could be that udev's assessment of the drives derails and that
serial number information spilled from the assessment of /dev/sdi to
the assessment of /dev/sdj*.

It would be interesting to see the output of

  ls -l /dev/sd[ij]*

in order to learn about the existence of /dev/sdj and the the device
numbers of sdi* and sdj*.

Further one should inquire the serial numbers by

  lsblk -d -o NAME,MAJ:MIN,MODEL,SERIAL,WWN /dev/sd[hijk]

Have a nice day :)

Thomas