Hi Stefan,

On Mon, Jan 15, 2024 at 05:31:37AM +0000, Andy Smith wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 14, 2024 at 11:32:37PM -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > What happens if you use diskimages that contain directly a filesystem
> > without going through the trouble of using a partition table?
> > Does `ext4` also get tripped by the different underlying block size?
>
> I believe it will also fail but I haven't directly experimented.

I've now done a test and putting an ext4 filesystem directly on an
LV and syncing that across results in something that works fine, so
it is an issue with the MBR partition table.

I wonder if there is a safe and reliable way to modify such
partition tables on the destination so as to allow this to work…

(As mentioned, "just don't put a partition table on it" isn't an
ideal solution as these are disk images for virtual machines and
people like to partition those even if it isn't necessary.)

Thanks,
Andy