On Thu, 2024-01-18 at 21:44 +0000, Andy Smith wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Thu, Jan 18, 2024 at 10:01:46PM +0100, Michel Verdier wrote:
> > On 2024-01-18, Andy Smith wrote:
> > > If you use --delete-after (and some other options) then rsync has
> > > check every file before it can do any work, whereas normally it
> > > will
> > > find a few files to work on and start work, meanwhile
> > > incrementally
> > > scanning for more.
> >
> > Not sure of that.
>
> Could check the man page then like I said.
>
>     Some options require rsync to know the full file list, so these
>     options disable the incremental recursion mode. These include:
>     --delete-before, --delete-after, --prune-empty-dirs, and
>     --delay-updates.
>
> Thanks,
> Andy

Hi, OP here.

Just an update.
Last night I did the usual copy from the primary backup drive to the
secondary backup drive, except I did it using rsync --delete instead of
rsync --delete-after. This time, it took 73 minutes.  The previous time
it took 131 minutes.  So it did go significantly quicker.  And "seemed"
to go okay.

Thank you to all who have weighed in on this topic!