On Sat, Jan 20, 2024 at 05:09:58PM -0000, Curt wrote:
> On 2024-01-19, David Wright <deb...@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:

> >> There shouldn't be a comma in that sentence, in English. There is in
> >> the closely related expression "I won, you lost."
> >
> > That's rather proscriptive. "I won and you lost." and
> > "I won, and you lost." are two different sentences.
> >

> AFAIK, "you lost" is an independent clause and should be separated from
> the independent clause that precedes it with a comma before the
> coordinating conjunction.

Regardless of which grammar rules are right, wrong, or optional, the point
of this is that parsing natural language text is *stupidly difficult*.
A person who has to ask why "grep -c" doesn't count the number of commas
in a single line of text probably isn't able to take on this quest.

Any serious inquiries about natural language parsing should be directed
to an appropriate artificial intelligence mailing list instead of this one.