> That I'm contemplating, using a pi clone but still running the amanda I just
> installed all 3 debs of on a bananapi-m5.  How does an 8T backup server
> sound for another $200 in hdwe?  Very enticing and I do have the sheckel's.

I remember Amanda fondly from the days when I was backing up a labs
machine to DATs.  And while I see the benefit of using a tool with which
you're familiar, you might want to look at alternatives like Bup, Borg,
Restic, Bupstash, ... (or even Rsync/Rsnapshot).

Amanda was designed specifically to work efficiently when backing up to
a tape device.  If, like most people nowadays, you backup to something
like an HDD or SSD, Amanda is IMO overly complex and slow and doesn't
give you as much functionality as more modern alternatives (alternatives
which simply wouldn't work when backing up to a tape).

        Stefan