On Mon, Jan 22, 2024 at 11:51:30PM -0500, gene heskett wrote:
> which is why with my fading short term memory I generally copy/paste,
> including the bash prompts so you know its copy/paste but even then you
> question me. As for the file:// and :80, I'm not that forgetfull, I
> copy/pasted the rest of that files address from a previous ls output.

WHAT exactly did you have in the URL bar at the time you pressed Enter?

> On pressing enter it went to a google search and of course did not find it,

Without some kind of evidence, I am just going to conclude that you
made a mistake.

For example, if I type the word "file", then a space, then paste an
absolute pathname, I get a search result page.

If I do certain other kinds of mangling, like "file://" and then a
space, and then a pasted absolute path, Chrome tries to find a similar
previous item in the URL bar history, and uses that when I press Enter.
So, the result in this case is dependent upon my previous manglings,
and cannot be predicted in a vacuum.  If there's a way to make Chrome
treat each mangled query as an "ab initio" request, bypassing its
history, I don't know it.

Also from the "weird results" category: if I mangle the URL by using
two slashes instead of three, Chrome appears to treat that as a
relative pathname, attempts to open usr/share/whatever instead of
/usr/share/whatever, fails, and gives me an error page.  However, if I
mangle the URL by using *one* slash instead of three, it treats that
as if I had used all three slashes, and I get the document.