On 17/2/24 13:52, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Sat, Feb 17, 2024 at 01:38:56PM +1100, Keith Bainbridge wrote:
   >> sudo df -h /
/dev/sda3        36G   35G  100M 100% /

First off: you don't need sudo for this, ever.

Second: what kind of file system is this?

sudo du -hPx --max-depth=1 /
0       /mnt
181M    /boot
15M     /etc
0       /media
236M    /opt
336K    /root
0       /srv
4.0K    /tmp
8.1G    /usr
726M    /var
9.2G    /

So I guess the question is "Where's the rest of that 35 G used data?"

My wife is often telling me I'm not clear (obtuse). Thank you for clarifying the question

Conspicuously missing from this output is /home.  Is that a separate
file system?  If so, you *could* have data inside the /home directory
of the root file system, which is hidden by the /home file system that's
mounted over it.  You'd need to unmount /home to check.  It's not a
super probable situation, but it's worth checking.

I had wondered why /home was missing and concluded that as it's listed if I

df -h /home/
Filesystem                                          Size  Used Avail Use%
Mounted on
/dev/sda3 ===same partiton as /       36G   35G  100M 100% /home
keith@dell0 $

Then
>> sudo du -hPx --max-depth=1  /home/
[sudo] password for root:
2.2G    /home/keith
2.2G    /home/
keith@dell0 $

So, part of the missing 35G, but nothing significant

I checked my daily driver - lenv0, and I have the same situation -

sudo du -hPx --max-depth=1 /
[sudo] password for root:
265M    /boot
18M     /etc
0       /media
947M    /opt
1.5M    /root
0       /srv
du: cannot access '/tmp/.mount_Espansr8ZHig': Permission denied
12M     /tmp
9.6G    /usr
1.8G    /var
13G     /

  >> sudo du -hPx --max-depth=1 /home/
3.0M    /home/ke1th
3.0M    /home/
keith@lenv0 $

df -h
udev            7.2G     0  7.2G   0% /dev
tmpfs           1.5G  1.9M  1.5G   1% /run
/dev/nvme0n1p2   63G   27G   35G  44% /
tmpfs           7.3G   84M  7.2G   2% /dev/shm
tmpfs           5.0M   16K  5.0M   1% /run/lock
/dev/nvme0n1p2   63G   27G   35G  44% /home

In this case /home/keith is a sym link to another partition.

But still 14GB difference between the 2 reporting processes.

The same applies to any other directory that's got a file system mounted
on it.

I have had data written to /mnt/someDisk when the partition was NOT mounted. I get that suggestion. Those instances showed up in du though.

Or... it could be some bizarre btrfs crap.  If this is a btrfs.

Yes the / partitions are btrfs

The annoying habit of listing /home at df seems to be part of btrfs standard practice which I dislike. So far the ability to create timeshift and BackInTime snapshots in the proverbial blink of an eye are VERY good points for btrfs. Seems I need to allow for more more 'slack' space as well? du is reporting my timeshift directory as 0, and the internal subdir that lists save file as 108K. This tells me that btrfs is doing something magic.
Guess I'll be contemplating reinstalling onto ext4 in my sleep tonight.

To answer another question - no NFS

Thanks All

--
All the best