On 2024-02-27 10:26, The Wanderer wrote:
On 2024-02-27 at 10:15, Gary Dale wrote:

Anyway, that got me down the rabbit hole to try to find where the
crontab file is.

   ls -l /root/cron*
ls: cannot access '/root/cron*': No such file or directory

also

# whereis crontab
crontab: /usr/bin/crontab /etc/crontab /usr/share/man/man1/crontab.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man5/crontab.5.gz

so it's not in the location that you'd expect.
I'm not sure whereis is suitable for finding things like this. As its
man page states, it's for finding "the binary, source, and manual page
files for a command" - not the data files which the command may work with.
locate crontab also fails to find it, as does  find / -name crontab

Nor can I find it in /etc/. The various cron files there don't
contain the lines I;m looking for.
Can anyone explain how Trixie is handling crontabs now?
The first paragraph of crontab(1) states:

Each user can have their own crontab, and though these are files in
/var/spool/cron/crontabs,they are not intended to be edited
directly.
So, while I don't use per-user crontabs myself and so don't have
experience with this personally, I would suggest looking in that
directory - but not necessarily editing the files there, except via
'crontab -e' as you have already done.

Thanks. I missed that when I was reading the comments.  I need to enlarge the text more, I guess.