Roy J. Tellason, Sr. wrote:
> I don't ordinarily shut this machine down for the most part.  Every once in a
> while all of my swap partition gets filled up,  and then there's this
> continuous hard drive activity that I'm assuming is what they mean by
> "thrashing". The only option at that point is to get its attention with the
> power switch.  And then I need to go through a whole routing with bringing up
> what I had going,  including re-starting virtualbox and the stuff that runs
> in it,  etc.  If I'm lucky then I can get back the windows I had going
> before,  sometimes I'm not so lucky.  A system monitor I run on desktop 4
> always comes up,  but on the wrong desktop and I have to move it.
>
> The "eat all available memory" culprit seems to be firefox.  I just need to
> look at that system monitor every once in a while and when things start
> getting excessive shut firefox down and restart it.  Then I don't have the
> problem...

There's a kernel feature called the OOM-killer (out of memory)
which is supposed to detect when you are running out of memory
and select a process to kill.

Did you turn it off? It would be a setting in /etc/sysctl.conf
or /etc/sysctl.d/*

If not, perhaps you have an excessive amount of slow swap for it to be happy?

> I'm not sure if I have ntp or something else running here.  (Looking...)  I
> don't see it in my process list.

Other likely candidates are systemd-timesync and chrony.

-dsr-