On Sat 30 Mar 2024 at 21:06:27 (+0200), Antti-Pekka Känsälä wrote:
> I was able to replicate this, by trying to send gmail to myself in Firefox,
> attaching a binary on a mounted USB stick.

Did you mount the stick yourself as a user (ie there's an
fstab entry for it), or as root, or does an automounter
mount it for you?

> After the attachment supposedly
> was uploaded, I tried to unmount the stick, but it blocks. "lsof | grep -i
> KINGSTON" then shows a total of 129 lines from "x-www-browser". This lasted
> for about a minute, then the drive unmounted by itself.

This is the behaviour I see, where (1) inserting a stick creates
a mountpoint and (2) that mountpoint is referenced in /etc/fstab:

After typing Ctrl-O in Firefox, I navigate to /media/foo (the
mountpoint that was created). Double-clicking on the directory
mounts it and displays the files in it. Opening a text file
displays it. At least for a small file, FF does not hold the
file open, so I can immediately unmount the stick. That may
differ if, for example, a mail MUA or MTA is taking a lot of
time to process an attached file.

So I suspect you may be relying on an automounter to mount the
stick, and you have to wait for a period of inactivity to time
out before it decides you've probably finished with it.

Cheers,
David.