On Mon, Apr 22, 2024 at 5:03 AM Charlie Gibbs <cgi...@surfnaked.ca> wrote:

> I should probably be posting this to the Steam forums, but
> most of the denizens there are Windows people so I might be
> better off letting you Debian gurus have a go at it first.
>
> TL;DR: Copying an existing /home into a fresh Debian installation
> causes audio in Steam games to glitch - but all other sound is OK.
>
> Full description:
>
> I have a machine in the living room that stores MP3s and videos
> and serves them to other machines on our network as well as playing
> them locally on our TV's big screen.  I also play a few Steam games
> (e.g. Portal) on it.  It's a 2007-vintage machine, but it has 8GB
> of RAM and enough CPU power to do the job, and runs the latest
> version of Bookworm.
>
> Recently I decided to upgrade its storage capacity, and replaced
> its 500GB hard drive (which was pretty large at the time I bought
> it) with a 4TB drive.  I did an install from scratch using a
> network install CD, then copied my /home partition (using rsync)
> from the old drive.  Everything works great with one exception:
> when I fire up Portal the sound gets glitches about once a second.
> This only happens with Steam games; I can play MP3s and videos
> with mpv and the sound is perfect, as it is when watching YouTube
> videos.  If I swap the old drive back in everything is fine.
>
> Obviously my Steam programs and configuration files are in my
> home directory, since the updated system comes up icons and all
> without re-installing Steam, and can find everything it needs to
> run the games.  But perhaps there are a few files somewhere else
> (/usr?) containing information critical to audio for Steam.
>
> Any ideas?

What are the old and new hard drive model numbers and specs?

If the old hard drive was spinning rust, it is acceptable to replace it
with a solid state drive. I did it several times in the past. But nowadays
a new machine usually (always?) comes with a SSD, so you usually don't need
to upgrade for performance reasons.