On Mon, May 27, 2024 at 10:28:37AM -0400, Michael Grant wrote:
> On Mon, May 27, 2024 at 10:19:48AM -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> > On Mon, May 27, 2024 at 09:56:54AM -0400, Michael Grant wrote:
> > > I needed to install a version of sendmail from testing a while back to
> > > test it.
> >
> > Your subject header says "bookworm stable".  You don't install binary
> > packages from testing on a stable system.  You use backports instead.
>
> ugh no, wait, I may be using the wrong terminology.  I'm not wanting
> to install special packages and definitely don't need to build my own.
>
> What I want to do is get the system back to just using the packages
> from stable rather than testing.  Only those few packages before
> things get worse in the next update.  There's not many.

Downgrading essential libraries (libc6 and friends) that were brought
in when you tainted your stable system with testing packages is going
to be risky.

Definitely make a backup before you do ANYTHING.

Once that's done, you can try purging the non-essential testing packages,
and then downgrading the essential ones.  If at any point the system
becomes utterly broken, reinstall stable, and then restore your backup.