> So, which part are you confused about?  Did you think there was some
> easy way to FIX a frankendebian?  Are you confused because you keep
> thinking "there must be some single apt command that will do all the
> work for me"?
>
> There's not.  You get to do all the work by hand.

I am trying to do it by hand.  There's not many packages to deal
with at this point, doing this by hand looks like 10 or so packages.

> You will most likely need to remove the testing versions of these packages
> (apache2, git and so on) and then install the bookworm versions afterward.

Those dependent packages (most if not all) are not from testing.
apache2, perl, they are all installed from bookworm or
bookworm-security.

That db5.3 from testing is uninstalled and reinstalling from stable is
causing these other packages from stable to be uninstalled.  I find
that confusing.

But what about libc6?  That one really worries me.

# apt remove -s libc6
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

....a few pages of dependicies...

> The things to watch out for are config files (hence your backup), and
> any crazy dependency situations.  In the ideal case, you'll simply be
> able to remove all the packages that aren't libs, then downgrade the
> libs, then reinstall the packages.  And make sure you have sensible
> config files.  If you get stuck, there's always the big hammer
> (dpkg --force-depends and so on).
>
> If/when it breaks, you get to reinstall from scratch.

I have a running second week old version of the same vm.  I'm rapidly
moving to abandon this and just swapping the instances around.

> This is why we tell people DO NOT MIX BINARY PACKAGES FROM MULTIPLE
> RELEASES.

Yup.  But this whole experience does make me wonder if there are
situations where it is safe.  For instance, if the thing you're
installing from a different release does not cause an update anything
from the current release to a new release.  It feels like apt might be
able to suss that out and if so, pop an "Are you sure??? (y/N)" in the
terminal.