On 14 Jun 2024 17:47 +0100, from deb...@norgie.net (Mike):
> I'd be grateful if anyone could give me any pointers to get the
> terminals looking vaguely sensible, please?  I think the first isse it
> working out how to stop the screen turning off, which I assume is
> because the display is out of range for the monitor.  I can't seen to
> figure out how to change that.

That would be the first thing I would want to rule out, too.

In GRUB, try "e"diting the boot command sequence and on IIRC the
"kernel" line (the one that specifies the kernel and kernel
parameters), add one of vga=0; vga=0x0f04 (leave current settings); or
vga=ask followed by "scan" at the prompt and then select a reasonable
one. See https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/admin-guide/svga.html.

In /etc/default/console-setup, try setting VIDEOMODE to the empty
string. See console-setup(5).

--
Michael Kjörling                     🔗 https://michael.kjorling.se
“Remember when, on the Internet, nobody cared that you were a dog?”