On Wed, 2024-06-19 at 15:16 -0400, Jerry Mellon wrote:

> Hello,
>
> New user having trouble with evolution. I think that I have it setup
> correctly, but it will not login
>
> to my email accounts. At the bottom of screen it is scanning the email
> server from my login but then
>
> a box pops up indicating that there was an error trying to login and
> asks for the password, which I supply and box closes only to return
> shortly with the same response.
> I have used the account on my other system and no problem so the
> account is OK.
>
> I tried to download Thunderbird to give it a try but it is missing
> some dependencies an will not
> load.

Hi.. I started using Evolution several months ago. Am still working out
some kinks myself. I just test drove adding a second mail account for a
same user, and it started walking me through that process. What about
trying that for the same account that's failing right now?

What I'm thinking is maybe there was a quiet typo, a missed field, or
something. I say that because I'm having an awful time seeing the
characters I'm typing here on mine. I've had typos galore in two emails.

You could give your favorite email a new (second) account name, see if
it works, delete the first account if the second one works, and then
rename the second to the first account name that is presumed memorable.

If a second account ends up working, make sure to click through that
"hamburger" or whatever official method exists to delete the first
account. In other words, don't just delete the name in the folder
hierarchy wherever you're seeing it (mine's a directory tree on the
left).

My brain keeps wanting to note that e.g. Gmail used to make us jump
through painful hoops to use desktop programs like Evolution. That
didn't happen for me this time, but maybe other email providers still
have the detail that needs addressed on their online end and that isn't
seen while setting up an Evolution account (versus other email
programs).

That inspires me to then say, if I was stuck in this situation, I'd do a
quick Internet search for my specific email provider along with keywords
like Linux AND Evolution to cut down on false positive returns. Maybe
someone has already presented a detailed step-by-step how-to after their
own fails at this.

Just thinking out loud. I'll say this, Evolution email has real-l-l-ly
worked out for me _this time_ after I had not had a good experience with
it multiple times in the past.

Cindy :)
* runs with backups of Evolution just in case (click that hamburger
to find backup and restore under "File") *