> If your system only boots one operating system, and never changes its
> default time zone, then it makes no difference whether the RTC is set
> to UTC or local time.  The OS will use the same assumptions when reading
> and writing to the RTC, so everything will remain correct.

Of course, the famous exception is if your machine is OFF during the
switch to/from DST.  IIUC there are hacks in Windows to try and handle
it "correctly", but I believe they can also misfire in some cases.
Don't know if GNU/Linux bothers with it: it's just a lot simpler and
more sane to use UTC so you never need to worry about it.
And of course, NTP is your friend: several of my machines don't even
have an RTC and I haven't really felt like they are missing something.

        Stefan