On 21/06/2024 00:26, Pranjal Singh wrote:
What I've done is changing /usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop:

- Exec=firefox %u
+ Exec=firefox -private-window %u

I also created a desktop file in ~/.local/share/applications, but
that too didn't work.

You may file a bug (if it does not exist yet) against the Debian package to add alternative actions in the desktop file, see
<https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/file/tip/taskcluster/docker/firefox-snap/firefox.desktop>

It would not open private widow by default though, it just would make it available from GUI.

Have you checked your files using the desktop-file-validate tool?

Are you sure that your desktop environment uses namely files you have edited, not a copy of the original file? Menus may use cache with data extracted from desktop files instead of files directly. Try to set unique Name and Comment.

Notice that the firefox-esr bookworm package contains /usr/share/applications/firefox-esr.desktop, not /usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop. I would avoid editing /usr/share/applications/firefox-esr.desktop since every package update means revert to original version with loosing changes.