On 6/28/24 10:20, dewey rahn wrote:
When I used to use Debian when a new release came out (like from 10 to 11) you
had to completely reinstall the operation system. Is that the case now?

I have invested myself in backup, recovery, and version control/ configuration management. So, a major version upgrade for me consists of backing up data on Debian version X, verifying that all of the system configuration files are checked in to the version control system (CVS), pulling the old system drive, installing a wiped disk drive, doing a fresh install of Debian version X+1, checking out the system configuration files to a side directory, merging system configuration files by hand, and restoring data.

I suggest that you start by implementing a version control system that you can use over the network.

David