On 2024-06-29 04:52, Charles Curley wrote:
On Thu, 27 Jun 2024 12:48:03 -0400
Stefan Monnier <monn...@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

I have a machine whose RTC clock is drifting significantly and it is
often suspended for several days.  I run NTP so the drift I see when
I wake the machine up gets fixed by "stepping" the clock after a
while, but that can take a while and I'd like to improve this
intermediate situation.

It seems to me that a lot of people much smarter than I have have
wrestled with this problem for more than 50 years, and still don't have
an instantaneous solution.

Other solutions:

* Don't suspend the machine. Problem solved.

* If you must suspend the machine, bring it up some reasonable length
  of time before you require accuracy from your clock. Problem solved.

* Invest in a decent GPS receiver, and install chrony and gpsd on the
  machine. Doing so may get the system clock in synch faster; it may
  not. Doing that sort of thing is well documented on the gpsd home
  page.

Wouldn't you need to know how fast the laptop is travelling?