Hi,

On Sun, Jul 07, 2024 at 06:02:18PM -0400, Lee wrote:
> I tried plugging the dongle into my debian laptop but it didn't
> recognize it :(

In my experience USB serial gadgets on Linux tend to just work or
will never work. The default Debian kernels do have USB serial
converter support enabled and all the drivers as modules. You'll
probably find it a better use of your time to just buy one that is
known to work, as they are quite cheap.

> So... what are people using to talk to serial devices now that PCs
> don't come with serial ports anymore?

Here are some notes from FreeBSD, which is a bit pickier than Linux
on this, so should be conservative advice:

https://wiki.freebsd.org/USB/Peripherals/Serial

> And what program are you using to talk to something over the serial
> link?  pterm or something else?

I use either minicom or GNU Screen. You'll need to know the baud
rate that the device expects, though you can just try a few common
ones and see what works. e.g.

# screen /dev/ttyUSB0 115200

Thanks,
Andy