On Sun, Jul 07, 2024 at 07:07:26PM -0700, Van Snyder wrote:
> I recently installed Debian 12.5 with kernel 6.5.0.0 on an antique Dell
> Vostro 1700. Occasionally it crashes with
>
> "Kernel Panic - not syncing: Can not allocate SWIOTLB buffer earlier
> and can't now provide you with the DMA bounce buffer"

Hi,

As suggested, use the Debian 6.1 kernel.

This is a laptop from around 2008 if I'm reading the spec. correctly.
This is a laptop with an older Nvidia card. How did you install it?
Did you try to install the Nvidia drivers at any point? I can't
find out whether this is one of the machines that has dual chipsets
(one Intel / one Nvidia). If so, have you used the instructions
for bumblebee/primus or whatever the appropriate magic now is?

> I saw some remarks about this from 2013 in the context of release 3.5.
>
> Is this a problem in the kernel, or is the computer broken?
>
> Should I revert to an earlier release?

Ideally, if you're running Debian stable, don't revert to prior versions.

Apt-get update to ensure that you're running the latest point release.

All the very best, as ever,

Andy
(amaca...@debian.org)