Am 20.07.2024 um 05:54 schrieb hlyg:
> why free OS hasn't gained more share even after 30 years of development?

I want to kickoff by reminding, that WHY questions are rarely useful, it
is what small kidz are asking, when they want to learn, how to argue
with adults. ;-)

But approaching the topic some more, let me add:
As a former developer, i came to linux quite late, and although my
willingness to learn was huge, i found it not exactly easy to switch. At
least, i can say: "I do not regret a single bit following my decision to
change, and i can do more things now, than what i could do at the time
with an MS OS.

But it is also true, that i just spoke with an old friend (aged 75+) who
is quite desperate about new ways of windows/Bing and the upcoming
launch of a new version. Honestly, i did not dare recommending linux to
him, because that would make me a full time supporter for years to come,
as he fails to show ownership of his decisions. He really just surfes
the web and uses email at times, but ... his thinking about how
computers _should_ work feels somewhat out of sync with reality.

just my 2 cents, DdB