On Sat, Jul 20, 2024, 12:16 AM <to...@tuxteam.de> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 20, 2024 at 02:45:37PM +1000, David wrote:
> > On Sat, 2024-07-20 at 11:54 +0800, hlyg wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > > why free OS hasn't gained more share even after 30 years of
> > > development?
> >
> > Because people don't have it hammered into them via the educational
> > formats, it doesn't come preinstalled on almost every computer you buy:
> > offered as the only option, Linux isn't advertised, and probably never
> > will be.

Both writers are ignoring the places where the vast majority of Linux
images run:
The corporate data center.
Linux rules the corporate data center and cloud these days. Not so much
Debian there but plenty of Ubuntu and Red Hat/fedora/CentOS.

All of them good factors. I may add yet another: because in the current
> economic ideology, investing in things seems preferrable than investing
> in people --

Any "capital good" like a semi-tractor or a corporate server and the
software on it is "depreciated": We pretend that it lost 6% or more of its
value each year, and we let the corporation write that "loss" off its taxes.

But I'm not allowed to do the same with my car or with the Dell Poweredge
R710 sitting next to me that used to live in the world's largest data
center.

This isn't really ideology except where ideology permits tax cheats to
thrive. Capitalism does that for tax cheats who have power and wealth, not
so much for those who dont.

and Windows (and MacOS) were marketed as "can be administered