On Mon, Jul 22, 2024 at 11:10 AM George at Clug <c...@goproject.info> wrote:

> On Monday, 22-07-2024 at 22:15 Henning Follmann wrote:
> >
> > > On Jul 22, 2024, at 08:08, cor...@free.fr wrote:
> > >
> > > I found that after I rebooted the system, the dir /var/run/***
> > > disappeared.
> >
> > Yes,
> > /var/run
> > is a symlink to /run
> > And /run is a tmpfs
> >
> > > I put my app's web sessions under /var/run. so they got lost.
> >
> > Well that was a bad idea if you wanted to have persistent session ids.
>
> Would it be appropriate to use the /opt directory?

For my Apache LAMP installation, I use /var/lib/php/tmp for temporary
files (like uploads) and /var/lib/php/sessions for session data. Then
I set this in php.ini: `open_basedir="/var/www/html/:/var/lib/php/"`.

> https://eitca.org/cybersecurity/eitc-is-lsa-linux-system-administration/linux-filesystem/filesystem-layout-continued/examination-review-filesystem-layout-continued/what-is-the-significance-of-the-opt-directory-in-the-linux-filesystem-layout/

You should read the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard,
<https://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/FHS_3.0/fhs-3.0.pdf>.

> To summarize, the "/opt" directory holds significant importance in the Linux
> filesystem layout. It provides a designated location for optional software
> installations, separating them from the core operating system components.
> This separation enhances system management, security, and integrity.
>
> https://linuxhandbook.com/linux-directory-structure/
> /opt – Optional software
> Traditionally, the /opt directory is used for installing/storing the files of
> third-party applications that are not available from the distribution’s
> repository.
> The normal practice is to keep the software code in opt and then link the
> binary file in the /bin directory so that all the users can run it.

Jeff