On 7/22/24 3:38 AM, 타토카 wrote:
Hello, dear Debian Community! I just want to ask you a few questions:
1. How is Debian Sid stable then Arch Linux, for example? How often does Debian Sid crash and breaked?

I can't speak about Arch; I mostly use Sid on all my workstations, but none of my servers. In about 20 years, I think there were two times when the breakage was severe-ish, and even then, recovery wasn't terribly difficult.

"unstable" really doesn't refer so much to the system being unstable, but rather to the available packages being unstable, constantly in flux. You might have Foo version 2.0 this morning, and version 2.1 this evening, which may break, or fix a breakage of, some other package.

2. I have seen on the Debian official site about Debian Sid and PAM. If I have this problem with PAM, what should I do?

I don't know what you're speaking about.

3. And how is it a good idea using Debian Sid for professional work and programming? I know that people use Arch for it, but I don't know about using Debian Sid for it.

Depends. Again, I would not put sid/unstable on a server, but for a workstation, and if a "Professional" has the ability to compensate for unexpected breakages, sure, absolutely. As I've said, I've run sid on my work-place computers for at least two decades; those machines have been more reliable than the Windows computers I used to run (back in the pre-Win10 days, granted, but I still find Debian sid more reliable, for me, than Win11 PCs).

4. As I know Debian Sid does not have some packages like Arch, why? They have rolling releases? I mean packages, for example, hyprland.

A strong positive about Debian is that it is very focused on Free Software (free as in "libre"). I don't want to have to worry about hidden proprietary licensing "gotchas"; with Debian (as long as I don't stray out of the Debian ecosphere), that's not a worry. This is one reason some apps are not in Debian that you'll find in other distros, because those apps are not sufficiently "Free".

Another reason a package may not be in Debian is that Debian is volunteer-run; if a volunteers wants to package XYZ for Debian, s/he can do so; if no volunteer wants to package XYZ for Debian, it won't be in the Debian repositories.

My understanding of a "rolling release" is, "Here's the next thing we're giving you." My understanding of Debian Testing, and Sid to a greater extent, is, "Here's the next thing we plan to give you, but it may be broken; use with care, and report back to us if you come across any problems."

--
Kent West                    <")))><
IT Support / Client Support