Hi all,

I'm having problems with one of my machines. it's a Pine RockPro64.

Debian bookworm has been running very stably on it for some time. I rebooted it a couple of weeks ago for maintainance, having applied updates, after 108 days up. I have an encrypted LVM volume, containing root, swap, and data LVs, with /boot on a MMC card, and I use cryptsetup-initramfs to allow me to log in and unlock the volume at boot time, via ssh.

I rebooted it this morning, due to a crash, and it didn't come back up.

I can still connect to dropbear (running in the initramfs context), and the MoTD (as always) prompts me to run cryptroot-unlock, which appears to do its job (ie. the LVM volume is unlocked / decrypted), however it does not proceed to switch root (and drop the ssh connection), as it used to, with complete reliability.

At first, I suspected a problem with the rootfs, however this appears not to be the issue - the volume is present at the expected location, and can be manually mounted.

Executing the following allows me to enter a chroot on the rootfs:

mount -text4 /dev/vg0/root /root
mount --bind /dev /root/dev
mount --bind /proc /root/proc
mount --bind /sys /root/sys
chroot /root /bin/bash --login

and following this I can run:

mount /boot

which correctly mounts the MMC card containing the /boot partition in the chrooted environment.

Inspecting /boot, everything appears to be in order. I have issued update-initramfs a few times, even completely removing the existing initramfs and recreating it.  I have also inspected the initramfs built by update-initramfs, and can see nothing out of the ordinary. crypttab is copied from the host, and the UUID matches that displayed by lsblk -f - which is not surprising given that executing cryptroot-unlock does, in fact, decrypt the volume.

Once chrooted, I can see that /sbin/init is a symlink to /lib/systemd/systemd, which exists and is executable, but obviously cannot be executed as anything other than PID 1. Attempting to execute it results in it complaining of a missing argument, or, if one is provided, an error that it is ignoring the request due to running in a chroot.

The kernel command line (cat /proc/cmdline) contains a correct root= entry, which points at /dev/mapper/vg0-root

I'm stumped - I cannot see why the initramfs environment fails to mount the rootfs and execute init.

I have run an additional apt update / upgrade / dist-upgrade, whilst under chroot, in the hope that it will magically fix everything, but to no avail.

I was using a custom dtb that enabled PCIe x4 on the board, but have removed that and reverted to the debian-supplied .dtb file just in case.

Any ideas? I have several machines using this configuration, both arm64 and amd64, and I'm now a little uneasy about rebooting any of them, in case there has been a breaking change somewhere which they, too, are likely to fall afoul of.

Any thoughts? I've never really had to debug the init process (ie. PID1) and am not sure how to proceed.

Thanks,

-Ian