On Wed 24 Jul 2024 at 14:29:34 (+0000), MailGuard01 wrote:
> I am trying to complete the network configuration on Debian 12 using the
> default
> installed `ifupdown` package. I have noticed some confusing behavior with
> `ifupdown` while following the manual pages.
>
> Specifically, when I place `iface eno1 inet6 auto` with `privext 2` after
> `iface
> inet eno1 dhcp` as instructed by the manual, the behavior becomes
> unpredictable.
> Typically, the `privext` setting does not work as expected and has no effect
> when I initially boot into Debian 12 every time, even though the value of
> `/proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/eno1/use_tempaddr` is correctly set to 2. No
> temporary
> IPv6 address is assigned to the interface.
>
> However, if I restart the networking service using `systemctl restart
> networking`, everything starts working correctly, and the temporary IPv6
> address
> is assigned and displayed. Strangely, after multiple reboot of my Debian 12
> PC,
> the temporary address occasionally appears without manually restarting the
> networking service. The behavior seems unstable and inconsistent.
>
> When I accidentally placed `iface eno1 inet6 auto` with `privext 2` before
> `iface inet eno1 dhcp`, everything worked without any problem. All settings
> correctly applied, and there was no need to manually restart the networking
> service.
>
> I have searched online but found nothing relevant, as if this is an isolated
> case. The manual also does not mention this behavior. I can reproduce this
> consistently from Debian 11 to Debian testing/unstable.
>
> Is this behavior expected / considered a feature? Or is it an isolated case?
> Should I report this as a bug, and if so, where should I do that?

There is a bug report #960809, which seems related, and
might be worth adding your experience to, if you think so.

> Additionally, it would be helpful to mention this behavior in the manual pages
> if it's expected, perhaps in a known limitations section. It took me days to
> solve this issue, and I was stumble upon the solution by sheer luck.

I did wonder whether any of the randomness wrt reboots might be
time-related, as skim reading the RFC, it seems to allow for storing
a history of addresses used, and periodic generation of new ones
rather than a fresh one every reboot.

Cheers,
David.