* On 2024 25 Jul 07:48 -0500, Oliver Schode wrote:
> To be honest I'm not happy with the info format still being around,
> precisely because sometimes man pages don't cut it, and we should have
> something better by now. On the other hand, and I'll make no bones
> about it, so called chatbots turned out to be extremely useful
> (overused) for me in that respect and are now doing enough of the job
> for about 80% of the time. You just can't beat that for speed or
> convenience, and when is there no internet connection.

The info format is generated from a source document format GNU calls
texinfo that is a subset (superset?) of Tex.  The info files are just
one of several formats that can be generated from the Texinfo source.
Other popular formats are HTML, Post Script, and PDF.  Sometimes these
latter formats are included in a *-doc package of GNU software and
sometimes not.  All are usually available from the related GNU Web site.
I typically will search for an HTML version of a GNU manual.  The only
problem is that what is found online are the latest versions and Debian
Stable packages may be a version or two behind.

Texinfo is from a time when GNU documentation was only man pages or flat
text files and something "better" was desired for moving through a
manual in what is now known as a hypertext format.  It also includes a
lot of semantic markup rather than the basics forms of emphasis included
in HTML.  It is actually a rather capable format it's just that the info
format and the info utility intended for terminal display throw nearly
all of that away.

- Nate

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB