> On 2024-07-26, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
>
> > The /etc/sysctl.d/99-sysctl.conf symlink has been removed
> > (currently in unstable) *without any announcement*, so that
> > the /etc/sysctl.conf file (which is still documented, BTW)
> > is no longer read.
> >
> > So, be careful if you have important settings there (security...).

I kept wondering: what does this have to do with the Subject
header?  The files in question belong to the procps package, not
to systemd, right?

As it turns out, it's a combination of the two packages.  In bookworm,
/etc/sysctl.conf is a Conffile of the procps package, and
/etc/sysctl.d/99-sysctl.conf is a regular file (non-Conffile) of
the systemd package.

In unstable, apparently, *both* of them are gone.

<https://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs//main/s/systemd/systemd_256.4-2_changelog>
 says:
  [ Luca Boccassi ]
  * Drop /etc/sysctl.d/99-sysctl.conf symlink procps no longer ships
    /etc/sysctl.conf (Closes: #1076190)

while
<https://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs//main/p/procps/procps_4.0.4-5_changelog>
 says:
procps (2:4.0.4-5) unstable; urgency=medium

  * Add Recommends: linux-sysctl-defaults Closes: #1074156
  * Remove /etc/sysctl.conf as using /etc/sysctl.d/*.conf is better
  * Updated /etc/sysctld.d/README

So it seems to have been a removal performed at the whim of the procps
maintainer.  Perhaps there was discussion somewhere amongst the developers
that I'm not aware of.

It does seem like the sort of change that would belong in the NEWS
file, but I don't see it in
<https://salsa.debian.org/debian/procps/-/blob/master/debian/NEWS?ref_type=heads>.