On 4/08/2024 12:26 pm, George at Clug wrote:

If I go to the local coffee shop and connect my laptop to their WiFi, which incoming and now outgoing ports should I have blocked to ensure that no nefarious people are able to communicate with my laptop

The rules for public networks are very simple.

- Allow all outgoing traffic

- Allow related/established incoming connections. That is if your system connects to a remote system and that remote system responds, it will reply to your originating port or may also reply/connect to another port on your system. You want allow those.

- If you have specific needs to receive multicast (such as mDNS) you need to enable that for each case.

- Finally block all other incoming connections.