On Sun, Aug 04, 2024 at 05:44:07PM +0100, Mick Ab wrote:
> I have a Debian Bullseye desktop PC.
>
> I am looking for a 2fa authenticator that works on my desktop, without
> using a smartphone or tablet.

I don't know what an "authenticator app" is. If what you need is TOTP,
oathtool (in the same-named Debian package) might be your friend.

What I do is, in a terminal:

  echo "MY-TOTP-SECRET-KEY" | oathtool -b --totp - | xclip -r -selection
clipboard

Xclip (from the same-named package) puts the result in some X selection
(here I use the clipboard, because the result is going to the browser,
and those are too stupid to handle other X selections gracefully).

Now of course this simplified schema doesn't take care of keeping your
TOTP secret secure and things, so you might want to use GPG for that.

Or, as others suggested, go with a password manager (if you ask me, not
the cloudy type -- those tend to leak [1] from time to time).

Cheers
[1]
https://www.theverge.com/2023/2/28/23618353/lastpass-security-breach-disclosure-password-vault-encryption-update