On Tuesday, 06-08-2024 at 04:12 Charles Curley wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Aug 2024 01:12:08 +1000
> George at Clug <c...@goproject.info> wrote:
>
> > It would be nice if systems were not so complex that they required
> > frontends to be usable.
>
> Perhaps it would be nice. But that's not the way of the world. I wrote
> 6502 assembly code and hand-assembled it way back when. I was very glad
> to get my hands on an assembler and a computer with enough ram to run
> it. Hiding complexity is a good thing.
>

> > I am feeling a little overwhelmed by how confusing nftables is, but
> > that is how I felt about iptables before getting to a point I could
> > set up a simple set of rules.
>
> I'm lazy. I use a front end precisely so I don't have to learn nftables
> in all its complexity. I suggest you look at firewalld and its two
> front ends, firewalld-config (GUI) and firewall-cmd (command line). As
> an extra added bonus, it integrates nicely with Network Manager.

This morning, after thinking on these things I realise I am wrong.

I am showing both my ignorance and my stupidity.

"Times have changed", "That was then, this is now".

While I find it difficult to let go, I do need to learn to use firewalld and
make use of firewall-cmd, you are correct.

For example, I have noticed, web pages are no longer code running from a single
server (eg. local html, php code), but a litany of libraries sourced life from
other sites on the Internet.

(I do recall being taught programming using machine code, once I reached an
environment that used assembler, I only used machine code for debugging.
At that time I was also introduced to programming using BASIC via punch cards.
I am not going to give up using IDEs and go back to those days, so I should
apply the same logic to firewalld)