On 07/08/24 at 21:57, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
The number formats are hardcoded:

   https://sources.debian.org/src/time/1.9-0.2/src/time.c/#L526
     case 'S':          /* System time.  */
       fprintf (fp, "%ld.%02ld",

   https://sources.debian.org/src/time/1.9-0.2/src/time.c/#L531
      case 'U':          /* User time.  */
        fprintf (fp, "%ld.%02ld",

   https://sources.debian.org/src/time/1.9-0.2/src/time.c/#L552
      case 'e':          /* Elapsed real time in seconds.  */
        fprintf (fp, "%ld.%02ld",

There is no interpreter to see for adjustable number precision.

Thanks for the exhaustive answer, I was wondered that the /usr/bin/time command has precision hardcoded in the sources :( which command has a precision of at least 3 decimals to measure commands execution? The Bash's shell keyword "time" it could be fine, but I don't know how to redirect its output to a file (-o switch of /usr/bin/time).

Cheers
--
Franco Martelli