Please forgive any formatting glitches. I'm still a brand newbie at
sending emails out of Evolution. :)

On Wed, Aug 21, 2024 at 8:08AM Michael Kjörling
<c9bc136c6...@ewoof.net> wrote:
> > But this file is not listed by 'ls' command.
> >
> > # ls /etc/policyd-spf.conf
> > ls: cannot access '/etc/policyd-spf.conf': No such file or directory
>
> The glob matches the directory. This causes `ls` to get the directory
> name on its command line, which makes `ls` list the contents of that
> directory.
>
> For the behavior you want, try using `ls -d`. That will list the
> matching directory entries (if any) without descending into
> directories to list their contents.
>
> Filename globbing is done by the shell, not by the invoked application
> (such as `ls`).

All these years of using ls and locate myself, just had an ah-ha moment
triggered by the above. Tried my favored (cognitively friendly) grep:

$ ls /etc/*|grep wi -i
/etc/nsswitch.conf
/etc/usb_modeswitch.conf
type-windows.xml
x-window-manager
x-window-manager.1.gz
wicd
wicd
K01wicd
K01wicd
S01wicd
S01wicd
S01wicd
S01wicd
K01wicd
/etc/usb_modeswitch.d:
/etc/wicd:
wired-settings.conf
wireless-settings.conf

Next further tested "/etc/*/*" which returned yet more results,
including several complaints about "permission denied" as ls reached
deeper into each parent directory.

Pretty cool. Thanks for triggering that thought! I could have used it to
save brain pain many dozens of times over the last few years.

PS Yeah, I know, some directories go very deep. I'm pretending those
don't exist just this second. Searches I've performed are much specific
than just "wi" so the results list would remain small for deeper
queries. Works for my humble single user needs. :)

Cindy :)
* runs with birdseed *