On Tue, Aug 27, 2024 at 09:03:02PM +0200, Hans wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> This is somehow rather irritating!
>
> So, my question is: Which one is recommended, when updating and upgrading is
> used in a script, so that it causes as little as possible pain?

apt-get is potentially the most basic. Aptitude resolves dependencies
differently and sometimes more effectively. Apt as such I don't use (even
though I named the whole idea :) )

apt-get normally "just works" which is why it is recommended for upgrading
between Debian major releases.

> It means: When the script is not eecuted daily, but let us say, every two
> weeks, and we have lots of packages.

There is something about the number of packages installed at once and
interdependencies - maybe run whichever more often. Installing 20 packages
at a time may be easier than installing 80 packages at once, for example.

> At the moment I am using aptitude, this works great in short periods, but
> after al longer time, it crashes, because some dependencies could not
> resolve.
>
> Independent of my personal use: Which one is recommended?

Whichever one works for you ... there is no definitive answer.

> Thanks for reading. Short answer will be ok.

ok - the short answer you already predicted :)

> Best
>
> Hans

All the very best, as ever,

Andy