Op 28-08-2024 om 03:30 schreef Roy J. Tellason, Sr.:
In the case of two of the three laptops I have here to play with,  it's simply
a matter of telling it to boot off the DVD drive and then inserting the
appropriate disc and going on from there.  In the case of this other one,
things get a little weird.

On powerup I see messages referring to PXE,  which if I remember correctly involves booting off a
network connection?  There's "Media test failure, check cable" followed by "Exiting PXE
ROM" and then I get "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key.

The thing is, this machine doesn't have a DVD drive.

You could use an removable USB DVD drive, but I would prefer an USB stick.

What it does have is a couple of USB ports (two different color connectors so I assume different speeds?). I am also assuming that simply putting an iso file on to a USB stick won't quite do it.

You have to put it the right way on the stick, not as a regular file, but as an image:
https://d-i.debian.org/manual/en.amd64/ch04s03.html

You can also use "dd".
dd if=debian.....iso of=/dev/sdX bs=4M status=progress; sync

With regards,
Paul

https://vandervlis.nl