On Thu, 29 Aug 2024 11:22:02 +0000
"Tsai, Letitia (CW)" <letitia.t...@hp.com> wrote:

> Hi
> Not sure which category I should submit so I am writing this letter
> to gain your guidance on the issue I encountered. Hope the
> information I provided is valid and easy to understand. Thank you !
>
> [Summary]
> Unable to install Debian with GUI interface
>
> [Steps to reproduce]
> 1. Download Image debian-testing-amd64-DVD-1.iso (dated: 2024/8/19
> weekly build :
> https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekly-builds/amd64/iso-dvd/) 2.
> Make a boot drive thru Rufus 3. Select install with GUI

Hmmm. I have been running the weekly netinst builds (usually available
Monday mornings Mountain time). I have had no problem using those for
the last several weeks.

You might try the latest weekly build, 8/26.

You say you can get a good installation using the regular (console)
installation. Will the GUI run successfully on the installed system?

I don't use rufus or the like, as I am installing on a virtual machine
and can use the ISO image directly.

Are you checking the checksums?

Also, I select my installation method a bit differently that you do, as
I need to feed the kernel some parameters, I hit H (for help), go to
that menu, then enter "expertgui" and add some command line parameters
not relevant here. I suspect that will make no difference but might be
worth a try.

Some other things to think about:

I understand that rufus is a CD/DVD burner program for Windows. Is there
any reason you are using a DVD rather than a USB stick? And if so, will
rufus check the integrity of the finished DVD?

Is there any reason why you need the GUI to install? I understand that
the regular (console) installation is identical except for the
appearance.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com