On 8/29/24 23:03, David Wright wrote:
On Sun 25 Aug 2024 at 10:10:21 (-0400), gene heskett wrote:

So "some" shortcuts can be [...] disabled, but it doesn't tell you
how. But maybe if there is a particular hotkey that's causing a
problem, someone else might have had the same problem and written
an add-on you can look for?

Well, i'll be typing along, have most assuredly not done a ctl+a, but
all the text will high light, and the next keystroke deletes it all.
Sometimes I can recover with some undo's.  Or the message goes away,
and half an hour later I notice there is an unsent msg in the outbox,
and it might be the disappeared msg, but not always. About 50% of the
time it might be a resurrection/read msg dated months ago.  This
problem has survived 3 keyboards(this particular one is wired [ … ]

One course of action would be to use an add-on like exteditor,
by which you can use an editor of choice for composing your emails.
Obviously an editor without this SelectAll hotkey facility would be
preferable, like emacs for example. I wonder whether it would let
you use gedit (emails are always small files) or geany, which
I think you've used in the past.

geany yes, its solid as a rock, gedit has been removed from any system I find it on after an install since way before wheezy. Its scrambled a machines config file once too often. Rewriting a .hal file for linuxcnc is not trivial. Once might be my typo, twice makes me pay attention, 4 time it sentenced me to rewrite an 800 line config from scratch, but I first found an editor that just worked. That was geany. Or on arms, nano. Maybe in the ensueing 15+ years gedit has been fixed but I've not seen any discussion indicating gedit has been fixed, IDK & IDC. it screwed me over 4 times, each time costing me a dead or wild machine for several days. That violated my 3 strikes=out rule & I go hunting with rm..

[PS to Gene: just wondered whether you meant to reply only to
me on the subject of screen locking, rather than to the list]

This should go to the list.

Cheers,
David.

.