On Sun, 15 Sep 2024 16:12:45 -0700
Will Mengarini <sel...@eskimo.com> wrote:

> I am trying to install Debian on a new prebuilt, but when I
> boot and press <F2>, the screen is garbled.

Slow down. When you boot what? A Debian installation (which,
presumably, appeared to be successful), or a Debian installer? If the
latter, which one, the netinst installer or a live CD (which has its
own less flexible installer)? Or a USB stick made from one of those?

And where exactly is it failing? In the on-board firmware (BIOS)? Grub?
During the boot process?

Also, which version of Debian? The current one, 12.x (bookworm), or
something else?

> So, either of 2 things might help me:
>
> (1) The complete key sequence at the BIOS screen (or its <F1>
> help screen) to tell the mobo to boot from the USB stick first.

For that, you will have to get help from the firmware vendor or
Gigabyte.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com