On 10/8/24 14:48, to...@tuxteam.de wrote:
On Tue, Oct 08, 2024 at 02:28:44PM -0400, gene heskett wrote:
On 10/8/24 08:14, to...@tuxteam.de wrote:
On Tue, Oct 08, 2024 at 01:41:20PM +0200, Roger Price wrote:

[...]

Synaptic now finds nvidia-settings, but wants 72 other packages to be
loaded, including gcc which I took as a health and safety warning.

This is DKMS [1]: NVIDIA's kernel module isn't GPL compatible (but the
GPL allows you, the end user, to compile whatever you like). So DKMS
goes and compiles the kernel module in your box at package install for
you. That's what gcc is for.

Somewhere between magic and alien tech, if you ask me :-D

Not magic, or off-planet stuff, Tomas, but nvidia finally after 40 years
realizing [...]

Don't get me wrong. The magic is *not* by NVidia, who could just have
made their cra^H^H^Hdrivers available under the GPL (then all that
nonsense wouldn't be necessary) -- or, even better, just document their
hardware without NDAs and let capable folks do the programming.

The magic is by the kernel folks and the Debian folks for providing
this incredibly seamless experience with a whole compile toolchain
whirring away under the hood.

No, NVidia is still rather hostile to free software. Currently they
are being flooded with money from the AI bros, who don't care about
free software either (true to the most hard-nosed capitalist principle,
they steal whatever they can get away with and don't give back).

Cheers
Which is why I catalogue MBA's in the same box as all the lawyers Bill S. said he would kill first.

Cheers, Gene Heskett, CET.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis