On 30/09/26 at 00:52, Darac Marjal wrote:
And, if you don't want either, you could always ask your terminal to copy the text to your clipboard on your behalf:

osc52() {
   printf '\033]52;c;';
   base64 -w0;
   printf '\a';
}

That can work through tmux, through SSH and so on.

interesting, sorry for the late in the answer, of course to not annoying you just with my dummies questions I asked to a LLM tool about what does that function do.

So I discovered that "osc52()" stands for "Operating System Command 52" and, to make this function accepts text passed as argument, I merged the Greg's toclip() code with this result:

osc52() {
        printf '\033]52;c;';
        if (($#)); then
                printf '%s' "$*" | base64 -w0;
        else
                base64 -w0;
        fi
        printf '\a';
}

Now it works in these test cases:

frank@itek:~$ osc52 some text
frank@itek:~$ cat b.txt | osc52
frank@itek:~$ osc52 <b.txt

finally another relevant thing is that osc52() also it works as superuser, no need of privileged escalation in the code, you can use it as it is also when you are "root" user.

Thank you for sharing that code,
--
Franco Martelli

Reply via email to