Matt Price <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 10:55:51PM -0000, Thomas Dickey wrote:
>> Matt Price <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > can anyone tell me how to build  an xterm with 256 colors using the
>> > debian source package?  I'd just like a bit more flexibility -- and
>> > I'd like to have the off-the-shelf values for emacs highlighting work
>> > when I'm in a terminal.
>>
>> The simplest way is to use the configure script which is part of the
>> sources (see the INSTALL file for a summary of options).
>>
>> The XFree86 xterm supports ANSI color and VT220 emulation
>> There's an faq at
>>      http://invisible-island.net/xterm/xterm.faq.html
>>      ftp://invisible-island.net/xterm/
>>

> thanks for this...  I'm a bit confuseed about the deb-src package for
> xterm.  As you probably know, apt-get source xterm downloads files
> named xfree86-4.2.1*.  The implication is that one needs to build the
> whole of xfree86 in order to make a debian package; and following the
> instructions from the debian reference manual, namely:

Not exactly (I don't make any of those packages, but frequently compile
xterm on systems where they're installed).  Looking at the stuff I've
installed, it appears that xlibs-dev and libxaw6-dev is what you need to
be able to do this.  So making a package shouldn't require anything more
(except of course the package-building-packages) than what I need to
compile xterm.  After all, they're not incorporated into xterm's package.

> sooo... should I now just make, make install a custom xterm -- or is
> there in fact a way to make a .deb of xterm without building the whole
> xfree86 suite?

It depends on whether you want to learn how to make packages (or just
get xterm built).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net