Hello,

I tried to install Windows ME to a hard drive with an existing Debian system. During
the install the system insisted on formatting drive "C", and since I had created an
extra primary partition marked bootable to be "C" under Linux I figured why not. After
reaching 100% the install said formatting failed and quit.

Fine, so I try to boot back to Linux but get the "No operating system" instead.
Booting to Knoppix I found the partition table totally screwed up. I managed to get
back /home and /usr partitions using gpart, but it seems the / partition has been
partly overwritten. e2fsck gives the following:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] e2fsck -n /dev/hda1
e2fsck 1.34-WIP (21-May-2003)
Couldn't find ext2 superblock, trying backup blocks...
Superblock has a bad ext3 journal (inode 377).
Clear? no

e2fsck: Illegal inode number while checking ext3 journal for /dev/hda1

Any ideas how to recover the partition? Or should I just wipe it, after all, the most
important stuff (i.e. /home) seems to be safe?

Thanks in advance.

 MTV3 Laajakaista - Hauskemman elämän puolesta.
 http://www.mtv3.fi/liittyma/hankinta/laajakaista/