Andreas Janssen wrote:

>> Any ideas on what I broke and how to fix it once I get through the
>> rescue boot?  I think that i686 is a correct kernel for an Athlon
>> 1100, isn't it?
>
> No, you need the k7 Kernel. The i386 and i586 and k6 Kernel packages
> will also work, as well as the bf kernels.

Oops!  I would have expected the wrong kernel image to cause a kernel panic
rather than to load then fail later on -- but obviously I don't know what
I'm doing in the kernel department.  I hope this is the only thing wrong.

Once I manage to boot from the CD with the correct kernel, is this the
correct procedure for fixing my problem?

1. change the /vmlinuz and /initrd symlinks to point to the i386
   kernel images
2. check lilo.conf and run /sbin/lilo
3. pray|chant|sacrifice and reboot
4. stop messing with these things on my important workstation (that's
   what the spare computer is for)

Thanks,
Adam