Roy - thanks for all the info! I've had timidity installed and working for
years, but I gather it does more than I thought. I might be able to get by
with it after all. Am I correct in assuming that with ALSA my MIDI H/W
ports are probably working now? I haven't had a chance to test yet.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ lspci | grep SB
02:0d.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1 (rev 08)
02:0d.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Live! MIDI/Game Port
(rev 08)

Roy Pluschke said:
> On February 9, 2004 04:42 pm, Rick Macdonald wrote:
>> Henrique de Moraes Holschuh said:
>> required

>> > You can either use timidity (software synthesis), or you need to find
>> > something to upload the soundfonts to the wavetable synthesizer in
>> your
>> > Live
>> > card.  And the soundfonts as well, of course.
>>
>> timidity is installed and works but I need true midi now.
>>
>> Any idea why awesfx was removed from the Debian packages?
>>
>> I found one on the web (awesfx_0.4.4-5_i386.deb). I found some SF2 files
>> (CT4MGM.SF2 CT8MGM.SF2) from my Windows machine with an SB Extigy. Will
>> they work? Somewhere I have the CDs from the SBLive card if I need them.
>>
>> Can I mess up the SBLive card running sfxload?
>>

> I use the awesfx package on my debian box without any problems
> (soundblaster
> live card).  The sound fonts that come with the soundcard are called
> 2gmgsmt.sf2, 4gmgsmt.sf2 and 8mbgmsfx.sf2 which I'm sure you can find with
> quick google. Note that using the cards wave synth under alsa drops an
> occasional note. See the alsa home page about this bug.
>
>> timidity is installed and works but I need true midi now.
>
> I don't understand the above statement. Timidity is/has true midi. To run
> timidity as a alsa synth start up timidity like this:
>
> timidity -Os -iA -B2,8 &
>
> Its best to have timidity suid root so that it can use the real time
> scheduler/clock or whatever it is called.  In your application i.e.
> rosegarden or noteedit just select the timidity synth instead of the
> soundcard synth. The timidity samples are much better that the 8mb sound
> fonts that come by default with the soundblaster cards.
>
> R.J.P.
>

> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

...RickM...