Andy Firman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Okay.  I have a question about this from the kernel README:
>
>    Do NOT use the /usr/src/linux area! This area has a (usually
>    incomplete) set of kernel headers that are used by the library header
>    files.  They should match the library, and not get messed up by
>    whatever the kernel-du-jour happens to be.
>
> This seams vague to me.  It says "area".  Shouldn't it say
> something like this???:

I think I've seen at least one system with a /usr/src/linux/include
directory, but nothing else under /usr/src/linux.  In that case,
unpacking the tarball into /usr/src/linux directly could
be...confusing.

> So if one compiled a kernel from source, where are the "complete"
> kernel-headers anyway?

In the "include" directory of your configured kernel source tree.  If
you're building extra modules using kernel-package, this information
will automatically be passed on (your source tree really can be
anywhere).  For building things that aren't available as Debian
packages, you might need to go through an extra step to tell it where
your kernel source is.

(Alternatively, kernel-package can produce kernel-source and
kernel-headers packages for you...but then you already have the source
so this isn't the most useful thing.  :-)

--
David Maze         [EMAIL PROTECTED]      http://people.debian.org/~dmaze/
        -- Abra Mitchell